Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Takalbi = Life

Now, you all know my favorite food is tacos.


Tacos will always be my favorite food.


For this reason, living in Korea is a little awkward, as they are seriously lacking in the taco department. 

Don't get me wrong...I like Korean food. Most of it. Some of it. 

...I mean, I tolerate it. x.x

Korean food all seems to consist of the same main ingredients, but in different forms: rice, kimchi, pickled vegetables, and pork. And it's usually accompanied by a bland soup. 

That's why, when I eat out, I generally try to go to Italian, Indian, Chinese, or even American food. I get so tired of the same thing. I mean, I eat it literally every day at school....so when I go out, I need something different!

 (click to enlarge)

^ Korean Indian food                                                          ^ Korean Chinese food





 ^ Korean Japanese food                                                  ^ Korean...American food?


To tell you the truth, when I first got here, I hated Korean food. 

However, then I found the single dish in Korea that changed my mind about Korean food forever....


TAKALBI!!!!!!!

Okay, so it starts off all raw like this:




It's so beautiful!! There is cabbage, chicken, carrots, sweet potatoes, and ricecakes with cheese inside of them. And onions. Green ones. 

Then they cook it at your table until it looks like this....




Then they add rice (if you ask nicely...sometimes they don't want to. Koreans are very particular about how to eat things). And they mix it really fast!!



Then it looks like this...




And then you EAT EVERYTHING



And then you are full and happy, so you hug Korean boy, who is grumpy because you ate everything. Or because he wanted soju. o.O




Yay, grumpy Korean! 

Yay Takalbi! 

Yay Korea!












...Yay tacos!


4 comments:

  1. Oooh, that favorite food of yours looks delicious. And so does that taco. Mmmm. Maybe after your stay in Korea, you should move down to Southern California, and I'll take you to the best taco place ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Takalbi looks amazing! Learn to cook it for when you come back! Tallia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come visit Korea and you can have the real thing.

      Delete
  3. am new to korea

    can i know where i can get this,..

    ReplyDelete