Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Teacher is Train!!!!!

Many of you wanted to know how my first day of teaching went, but I've been so busy this past week getting traumatized by Korean doctors and attempting to get my alien card that I just haven't had time!

It turns out my boss has to take me to a different city to get finger printed, which we can't do today, so I can finally tell y'all about my teaching.

So far, I only teach 3 classes a day. My students are the lowest level at the school, and range from ages 6-10.

Most of my students are boys, which in some ways is easier, and in some ways harder.

Most of the boys are adorable, and while they can get a little loud, they still do their work and participate in class. They also call me 'Train' and like to compare height and foot sizes with me, as they are nearly the same.

Some of the boys are not as cute. They constantly shout things like 'TEACHER HE HIT ME' and refuse to participate. They also pretend their parents are calling their cell phones in class, and I'm pretty sure they insult me in Korean. I haven't quite figured out how to control them yet.

The girl students are both easier and harder to teach. True, they don't scream as much as the boys do, but they also don't participate as much. Or, they finish their work so quickly that I have a lot of class time left over.

My really young students are...interesting to teach. I feel a bit like I'm babysitting, as they are only learning letters and how they sound, so there's not much to teach each day. They are also very wiggly and like to crawl under desks, so that's fun.

Next week I start teaching adults on Monday through Thursday at some company. They are apparently engineers wanting to learn some business English. My only female co-teacher said they will be very rich, very smart, and very handsome. My male co-teachers warned me that they will most likely ask for private lessons from me.

Luckily, my schedule is full, so I will be able to easily turn them down! On Fridays I spend time with a 3-year-old whose parents want her to learn English. She hates me. The mother gave me a lollipop to give to her. She took it, and slowly sucked it while giving me the worst death glare I have ever seen out of a toddler. Including mine.

She is cute nonetheless. I hope she warms up to me though, or I might lose that gig. :/


That's pretty much it for my classes. I'll have a pretty full schedule starting next week. Then I'll really start making money!



I'm thinking of getting a cat. Don't try to stop me.

Also, I'm having taco withdrawals. Someone help.

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha about the death glare!

    Yay for new pet!

    Sorry about the tacos. :( Apparently it is going to cost a LOT to mail stuff to Korea so I am going to start an IOU list for tacos and will buy you lots of them next time you are here.

    Tallia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tallia. That little girl must be terrifying! :)

    Mmmmm tacos. You'll have to come to visit my Family in Eugene. Jim will make you a taco feast. Just make sure it's when I'm in town :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh tacos sound good. sounds like you're going to have many taco dates to attend when you're back in the states! of course if you ever make it to pittsburgh..i will make you tacos too.

    ps. what do you think about kimchi thus far?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimchi is...kimchi. It's just kind of there. All the time. At every meal. I don't NOT like it...it just...is. hahahaha....

    Mandu (korean dumplings), however, is delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete