Saturday, September 24, 2011

Are we human? Or are we dancer....

Whenever I leave the house I am constantly reminded that I am a foreigner, and therefore not quite human.

These are the general reactions I have received so far.


Babies: Stare at me, mouth hanging open. Their expressions do not change if I smile and wave at them. But they are soooo chubby and adorable.

Small children: Smile shyly. Some of them will say 'hello,' as they've probably recently started learning English and they know that white person = English. When I say hello back, they get really shy and hide behind their mom's leg.

Middle school boys: Sometimes I get a 'hello' but usually I receive a series of quick glances, or nothing at all. They are probably the most discrete at staring.

Middle school girls: This group is probably the most interested in talking to me. The brave ones may walk up and try to talk to me. These girls, which are usually in a group, like to say 'hello' or 'good morning!' And when I respond, they turn into a giggly mess and run away.

Adult men: They stare at me for the entire time that I am in their line of vision. And not at my face. If I make eye contact with them they try to make it seem like they were staring at whatever was directly behind me. Or, they just keep staring until I feel awkward and creeped out.

Adult women: They hardly look at me, but will return a smile if I offer one. How pleasantly normal of them.

Old men: They stare at my FACE and usually smile, for the most part. Although they also tend to turn their heads as I walk by, so that they can keep me in their line of vision and therefore stare at me longer. They don't really try to hide the fact that they're staring at me.

Old women: They avoid me like I am diseased. They try to avoid looking at me, but if I make eye contact they do not break it...but they will not return a smile. The older they are, the more they hate me, because I am a dirty American and obviously want to kill her.


Note: Of course, this does not reflect the behavior of all Koreans, although I have noticed these certain patterns of behavior. The shop keepers at the places I visit a lot are, of course, used to me and do not do these things.

I am in no way complaining. I find most of these reactions quite amusing, like when I would pretend to be blind with the guide dogs just to see people's reactions.

I am an alien here, and that's okay.

Do not be afraid, Korea. I will not hurt you.

Muahahahahahaha!


I'm starving to death. Seriously, where are the tacos here?!

No comments:

Post a Comment