Thursday, May 24, 2012

One month of agony/bliss complete!

Hello all.

It's May 25, meaning it's exactly one month since I started teaching at this public middle school.

I don't have any pictures today (as I'm making this post from work), but I can still tell you a little about my school. :D


It's a Public middle school, which in Korea means I'm teaching grades 7-9 (Although they call it first-third grade middle school). I have been EXTREMELY stressed this first month, but I think I'm getting into the hang of things.

Apparently the previous American 'teacher' before me would play a funny video or something for the children, so it was more like play time. Some of the students complained that I'm more like a 'real teacher.' I don't really see the problem with this.

So even though I'm not quite as entertaining as the previous teacher, the students still seem to like me. I get told I'm beautiful almost every day, and just about every single day a group of boys will declare their love for me before running away in hysteric laughter.

The second graders (8th grade) are really fun to teach. The Korean teachers say they are rude, but I think they're hilarious. I prefer an energetic class to a sleepy one...although in Korea children sleeping (actually SLEEPING) in class doesn't seem to be a problem. It drives me crazy.

The third graders (9th grade) are the most sleepy, probably because they have to study more to get into a good high school. I swear, half of my classes are completely silent and uncooperative, but the Korean teachers don't seem as concerned as me. Just a different culture, I guess.

I haven't taught the first graders (7th grade) yet, but I will starting from June. I'm very excited...they're soo cute, and some of them are still shorter than me. :)

I teach about 24 classes a week, each with 32-40 different students in them. And, I'm only teaching half the school at this time. So needless to say, it's a HUGE school! When I tell the students my elementary and middle school were all in one place, they think I'm joking.

They also think I'm joking when I tell them my hometown has one main road.

This city still scares me to death. I almost get run over by some crazy driver every time I go out walking. It's almost safer to J-walk with an old woman than to actually use a crosswalk.

Driving laws here are more like 'guidelines' than actual 'rules.'
Koreans are pirates.

Anyway, I just want everyone to know that I'm doing well...and I'm getting the hang of my new job.

I am loving it - even though it's stressful. It's nice not to have to worry about getting paid or having medical insurance - it's all taken care of without me asking.

Best of all, I should actually get some vacation time! I could potentially come home for a week this summer, but I think I'd rather come home at Christmas so I can see EVERYONE.

But I don't know...I might need a break from Korea before that.

We'll see. ;)

1 comment:

  1. hahahah Koreans are pirates. loved that part.

    Glad to hear you are loving it, and that your students are loving you. Way to be a real teacher!

    ReplyDelete