Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Concerning Time Travel

Making travel arrangements is a bit complicated with the changes in time zones.

Korea is 18 hours ahead of Washington State. I think. If I'm wrong about that, don't hate me.

But basically, if you add four hours to our time and change the A.M. to P.M., that's what time it is in Korea. Tomorrow.

So while AT is trying to make travel arrangements for me, they essentially have to send messages back in time to me, so the message arrives a day before they sent it.

Contrarily, when I send an email to Korea, it goes to the future, meaning in a split second it arrives 18 hours after I sent it!

This can be problematic for making deadlines.

For instance, I spent all day refreshing my email to see if they had decided on my plane tickets yet, forgetting that most of my day is their early morning. Not until 1:00 AM my time, which is late-ish afternoon in Korea did they send me a travel itinerary.

The payment for this itinerary is due September 1st. At first I thought, that's fine, I have a couple days. Then I realized that if it is midnight oN the 31st now, then in a few short hours, it will already be the 1st in Korea!!!

AHHHHHHH!

So, without having time to see if I will even be able to get a ride to the airport on the day they chose, I hastily replied saying it looked great!

I don't even care if they're making me take a 50 minute flight from Portland to Seattle. Whatever!

18 hours later (2 minutes) they praised me for my speedy reply and informed me that the traveling agency would call to make payment arrangements early in the morning.

...But if I hadn't been awake at 1 AM to reply to their email, what would have happened? September 1st would be long gone before August even ended!

:O

Time travel is dangerous.

Use it well!

(sorry for the sleepy ramble...)

No comments:

Post a Comment